A full-day walking tour to discover the most beautiful attractions of Venice
As everyone knows, Venice does not have roads and cars but only boats and canals. It is built on several small islands linked by hundreds of bridges. It is one of the most beautiful and romantic cities in the world, and probably the one where is easiest to get lost !
While getting lost in the maze of the narrow streets can be a fascinating experience, if you do not have too much time and you want to be sure of seeing the major attractions, we suggest this one day walking tour. The itinerary is the following:
- Saint Mark’s square – The true center of Venice and the only square that is called piazza: all the other squares of Venice are called campi.
- Saint Mark’s basilica - The most important church in Venice, perfect example of Byzantine architecture in the Western world. Inside you will visit many treasures including the astonishing mosaics decoration dating back to the XI century
- Doge Palace – You will enter inside the most important building of the government of the Venice Republic: frescoes, stuccos, paintings, marbles, light, gold, a true feast for the eyes. Inside the building we will visit also the Pozzi and Piombi prisons
- From the Doge Palace we will get on Ponte dei Sospiri, the Sighs Bridge, so called because it was the last step for prisoners before entering the terrible prisons of the Venetian Republic
- A short walk through lovely narrow streets will lead you to Rialto bridge, the true heart of Venice, with rows of shops on each side. The bridge has a nice view on the Canal Grande and is a perfect spot for picturing gondolas passing by.
- After crossing the bridge, you will reach the Rialto fish market. A lively market where every morning locals come to buy fresh fish and seafood coming from the Adriatic sea
- With a walk through the maze of narrow streets bordered by the typical canals we will reach the basilica of Santa Maria dei Frari. This beautiful church is famous for wonderful pieces of arts among which the Assunta altarpiece by Titian
- The walking tour will end at the Great School of San Rocco, with walls and ceilings magnificently painted by Tintoretto in the 16th century
Type of tour: walking tour
Duration: 6 hrs (including time for lunch break)
For more information or to book any of our tours: contact us
Don't have one full day to spend ? You can see the essentials with the half-day Heart of Venice tour